I’ve recently setup 5 or 6 different lab environments and one of those setups was all server 2012 core. To get started on the lab, I needed a DC (aside from the initial Hyper-V server). In a few quick steps, I’ll show you how to setup a new forest using Server 2012 core.
1. Login to and configure your server using sconfig
2. Type powershell to open a new PowerShell session
- Import-Module ServerManager
- Add-WindowsFeature AD-Domain-Services
3. After the server reboots, login and open a new PowerShell session
- Import-Module ADDSDeployment
- Install-ADDSForest -DomainName lab.local -DomainNetBiosName lab -DomainMode Win2012 -ForestMode Win2012 -InstallDNS
4. After the server reboots, login and open a new PowerShell session
- Import-Module ActiveDirectory
If everything went well, you should have a new AD forest setup.